Sunday, January 17, 2010

Revelations

This week has been a baby revelation week.  Things I may have learned this week follow below.  Whether I have learned them or not is in question because if I didn't know them before this week am I sure I know them now?

1.  A doctor's appointment for one issue can quickly become an entirely different matter quickly.  A correctly located placenta could also mean that your baby girl has a 2 blood vessel umbilical cord.  How the third vessel disapeared in a week is still a revelation I have to learn. 

2.  The smallest things in an ultrasound picture can knock you out.  For some reason seeing ribs and a spine clearly in an ultrasounds picture gives me a shock of joy.  Maybe it is because they lend strength or credibility to the face and body you see.  Either way I like my babies ribs.

3.  Preparing for children involves a lot of planning.  While I knew there was a lot of planning, I was not planning on this level of planning.  The remodel on our loft has completed it's transformation into our nursery, but now we have to get it painted, which means picking colors, patterns, etc.  Then we have to get the closet setup, furniture built and in the room, a new lamp, and on and on. 

4.  On the same note of planning, picking baby furniture is entirely too involved.  Having to pick what crib/bed your new child will like from birth to 18+ is an unnecessary challenge.  Meg and I spent 2 hours debating what crib we wanted to get because we wanted our 11 year old to be happy 11 years from now.  At one point Meg said why can't we just ask them what they like? 

5.  Babies R Us is a cool store....until you need it for yourself.  I had multiple opportunites to visit the store when shopping for registry gifts for others in the past few years and at the time I enjoyed the purpose of the store.  After yesterday I am pretty sure the store is actually a torture device designed to make parents heads explode.  The plethora of choices you have for any given item is just unnatural and incredibly overwhelming.  Somehow, though, they still manage to condense your 8 million choices into green, pink, and blue.

Enough complaining, let's get to some more ultrasound pictures!

Little Benjamin has a beaming little face he likes to show off.




We also get a cute picture of his hand.




Next our little girl provides us with a nice profile shot.


And finally for now, we have our baby girl's foot.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you about the registry thing. And every product claims to be the safest and they make you feel like, if you don't buy them, your child will be unsafe...Looking at the car seat my parents had me in...well, I survived! =)

    But I also didn't want to do the typical "baby" colors either and that made everything much more difficult. Targets website is way better than Babies R Us but Babies has more option in the store. rhbabyandchild.com has some great colors available but is quite pricey.
    -Amanda Todd

    ReplyDelete